The perfect addition to any festive occasion is a deliciously creamy glass of Eggnog. Otaika Valley has provided the most indulgent recipe which will allow you to create the perfect treat with the use of their free range eggs.
4 Otaika Valley Free Range Egg yolks
½ cup Ceres Organics Golden Sugar
(or standard white sugar)
2 cups Lewis Road Creamery Gold Top Milk (or homogenised)
2 whole cloves
Pinch of cinnamon
1 cup Lewis Road Creamery Organic Single Cream
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon Heilala Premium Vanilla Extract
(Add 2 tbsp of bourbon and rum or brandy for an adults-only version)
- In a large bowl whisk or beat egg yolks until light in colour. Slowly add sugar, beating after each addition, until fluffy.
- Combine milk, cloves and cinnamon in a saucepan. Slowly heat until the mixture is hot but not boiling.
- Temper the eggs by slowly adding half of the hot milk mixture to the eggs, whisking constantly. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook on medium heat stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of the spoon (or reaches 160*F on a candy thermometer). Don’t allow mixture to boil or it will curdle.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream. Strain the mixture to remove the cloves and let it cool for one hour.
- Mix in vanilla extract and nutmeg (and alcohol if using). Chill.
- Garnish with grated nutmeg before serving and enjoy!