Forget boring ol’ sandwiches, spice up school lunches with a quesadilla instead!
Recipe courtesy of New Zealand celebrity chef, Jax, in collaboration with Best Foods!
“I used to work a corporate job while raising two kids so I know just how hard it can be to find the time and inspiration to make the kids lunches – and get them to actually eat it all! My own experience and love of food has made me especially passionate about inspiring others in the kitchen and making it fun and exciting,” said Jax.
“Using creative but simple and out of the box recipes is a great way to get your kids involved and keep your kids excited about their food.”
- Drizzle oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 pork sausages
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tin black beans, drained
- 1.5 cup grated cheese
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Oil for frying
- 8 small tortilla wraps
BEST FOODS MAYO & TOM SAUCE DIP
- ½ cup Best Foods mayo
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- Dash of Tabasco sauce (optional)
- In a large frying pan, add the oil and onion. Fry gently until soft and fragrant.
- Push the meat from the sausage skins and drop into the pan with the onion. Increase the heat, toss around the pan and fry until the meat is crispy and golden.
- Sprinkle in taco seasoning, cook for 1–2 minutes, then drizzle in water until the meat is coated in a thick sauce.
- Add black beans, mix and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a clean frying pan, add a little oil and place a tortilla on the bottom of the pan (or you can use spray oil directly on the tortilla). Spread a spoonful of the sausage mixture in one layer onto the tortilla, then top with a spoonful of cheese, sprinkle of parsley and another tortilla. Press down firmly with a spatula.
- Cook on one side until the cheese has melted and the tortilla is golden, then gently flip over. Slide from the pan, when cold, either store in the fridge until ready to use or slice into wedges and straight into lunch boxes.
- To make the dip, mix all the dip ingredients together.