The Parisian opera house that inspired the record-breaking musical, ‘The Phantom of the Opera,’ invites guests to stay the night for the very first time. In celebration of one of the world’s longest-running and most-loved musicals, guests can stay in the theatre in the private viewing area Box of Honour.
‘The Music of the Night’ will return to the place that inspired one of the world’s longest-running musicals, The Phantom of the Opera. The global phenomenon will be performed in 15 countries in 2023, including a final bow on Broadway. ‘Phans’ will be able to follow in the footsteps of le Fantôme and book a night in the mythical underworld where it all began.
Palais Garnier is now a part of Airbnb’s commitment to heritage tourism in Europe, whereby the traditional opera boxes are to be fully restored to retain their 19th-century splendour. One of the theatre’s most exclusive private viewing areas has been transformed into a majestic bedroom for guests to include in the mysteries and architectural wonder of the Palais Garnier.
“My great-grandfather’s classic story has inspired so many people through the years,” said Véronique Leroux, the great-granddaughter of French novelist Gaston Leroux, creator of the world-famous phantom character. “This is the perfect time to honour him and welcome ‘phans’ to the famous setting of his much-loved novel for a once-in-a-lifetime stay.”
To revitalise heritage tourism in Europe, Airbnb’s Palais Garnier special stay is the latest heritage offering in their series of ‘measures and commitments.’ Airbnb supports the restoration and enhancement of the Opera’s history as a part of the series. The company’s contribution to the development of the Palais Garnier boxes is alongside their funding of the Opera’s streaming platform. The platform will bring together all of the Paris Opera’s audiovisual content to a broad audience globally.
A room normally reserved for visiting dignitaries, guests staying in the Palais Garnier opera box will experience the following:
- The best location in the house to take in the architectural beauty of the Palais Garnier and its stage.
- A tour of hidden areas in Palais, rarely seen by the public, including the Opera’s incredible private archives and famous underground lake.
- A private ballet initiation with one of the Opera de Paris Ballet dancers.
- An exclusive recital performed by the artists of the Paris Opera Academy, complete with champagne and hors d’oeuvres.
- Dinner in the lavish Foyer de la Danse, a private and historic dancing rehearsal room behind the stage, used by dancers for warming up before a show.
- A tour of the private dance studios underneath the eaves of the iconic opera building, where guests will enjoy picturesque views of the Paris skyline.
Guests may request to book the overnight stay on Thursday, 2 March 2023, from 6 am. The stay will take place on Sunday, 16 July 2023.