Founded by Robbie Lockie, Co-founder of Plant Based News in 2017, August 22nd is World Plant Milk Day, an international day that celebrates plant-based alternatives to dairy milk.
Why not celebrate by trying one of these traditionally dairy filled recipes.
Vegan Waffles (Makes 6-8 waffles):
- 23ml plant based milk ( soya is best)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 25g caster sugar
- 40g apple sauce
- 50g vegan butter, melted
1. Make sure your waffle maker is preheating!
2. Firstly, pour the apple cider vinegar into the soya milk, give it a stir and then leave to sour for about 5 mins.
3. In a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
4. Once the soya milk has soured (gone a bit chunky) add the apple sauce and the melted butter and mix well.
5. Whisk the wet mixture into the dry gradually and continue adding until it has all been combined and you have a smooth mixture.
6. Spray the waffle maker with an oil-based spray and ladle in the mixture. (be careful not to overfill)
7. Cook for approximately 4 minutes and then serve with berries and syrup.
Velvety “Cheese” Sauce:
- 2 cups unsweetened fortified non-dairy milk or water
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, rinsed well or soaked for 4-6 hours, drained, and rinsed
- 1-2 roasted red bell peppers, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (less, if desired)
1. Put all ingredients in a high-powered blender and process until very smooth and creamy.
2. Pour mixture into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Immediately decrease the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring or whisking frequently, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Blend again for an extra silky sauce, if desired. Serve hot on vegetables or on anything you might use cheese sauce.