Try this deliciously bold and moist loaf by Gretchen Lowe, made with almonds, whole lemons and sweetened with Egmont Honey’s Raw Honey.
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup Egmont Raw Honey, plus extra to serve
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 ½ cups ground almonds
- 2 tbsp Egmont Raw Honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Juice of a lemon
- 2 tbsp pistachio nuts, chopped
- Place lemons in a medium pot filled with water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 1.5 hours. Drain and cool. (This can be done a couple of days before if you wish)
- Preheat oven to 180C then grease and line a loaf tin.
- Roughly chop cooked lemons, removing seeds then place in a food processor blending to a pulp. Add honey, eggs, vanilla and coconut oil. Process until well combined. Add baking powder and almond meal and pulse until just combined.
- Pour into your prepared loaf tin and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and poke a few holes in the loaf. Melt together honey, coconut oil and lemon juice and drizzle over loaf while warm. Cool for 20 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Slice extra lemons in you wish and sprinkle with pistachio nuts.