TV personality and creative food genius, Jax Hamilton has come to the rescue with her handbook of tips, tricks and delicious recipes to make the return to school fun.
To inspire parents of school-aged children, Hamilton has teamed up with New Zealand’s favourite mayonnaise, Best Foods, to share her tastiest recipes you can use to spruce up the school lunches this term.
Recipes provided by Jax Hamilton in collaboration with Best Foods.
MAC CHEESE & HAM CUPS
- 150g macaroni
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 350ml milk (warm)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 100g ham, chopped
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup mozzarella
- ½ cup tasty cheese
- ½ cup panko or breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs, dried
- ¾ cup Best Foods Garlic Aioli
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grab your muffin tin and line with muffin cases.
- Boil the macaroni as usual. Just before it’s fully cooked, remove from the heat and drain (we will be cooking it a little longer as muffins).
- In a deep, non-stick saucepan, add the butter. Once bubbling, sprinkle in flour and cook for about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk until you have a thick, silky smooth sauce.
- Remove from the heat, add the mustard, yolk, ham, cheeses and spring onion. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into your muffin cases, bake until bubbling. 5 minutes before they’re cooked, remove from oven and sprinkle over breadcrumbs and herbs, then return to oven for 5 minutes.
- When cold, using a sharp knife, slice each muffin in half and spread through a dollop of Best Foods Garlic Aioli–such a divine surprise.
CORNED BEEF & GARLIC AIOLI WRAP
- 4 wraps
- 2 tbsp hot mustard
- ¾ cup Best FoodsGarlicAioli
- 240g cooked and shredded corned beef
- 100g smoked cheese
- ¼ cup pickle or chopped gherkinsSqueeze lemon juice
- Freshly grated black pepper
- Take your wraps and lay each on a square of sandwich or baking paper, on your kitchen bench.
- Spread each base with mustard and ¼ of the Best FoodsGarlicAioli.
- In a bowl mix together the remaining Best FoodsGarlicAioli, corned beef, smoked cheese and pickle. I like to add a little squeeze of lemon juice too and plenty of black pepper.
- Mix well and divide, in one layer between the 4 wraps.
If you haven’t eaten them all already! Roll up tightly in the baking paper, pop in an airtight container and into the fridge until you’re ready to make your lunches.
ZUCCHINI, MINT & FETA QUICHE
- 2 tbsp Best Foods Garlic Aioli
- 6 slices bread–crusts removed
- 1zucchini, grated and squeezed dry
- 2 sprigs fresh mint, chopped finely
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- ½ lemon zest100g feta cheese
- ½ cup cheese (mozzarella), grated or diced
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 100ml milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lightly grease a slice tin or deep rectangle baking tray and preheat oven to 220°C.
- Spread the bread with theBest Foods GarlicAioliand spread side up, cover the bottom of the slice tin in one layer, ensuring there are no gaps.
- Mix together the zucchini, mint, spring onions and lemon zest. Scatter over the bread.
- Crumble the feta and sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over the zucchini and onion mixture.
- Lightly beat the eggs and milk together. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour mixture over the sprinkled cheese and bake in the oven until golden, crispy and puffy.